Xamarin Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation, and its affiliates (“Xamarin,” “we,” or “us”) are concerned about privacy issues and want you to be familiar with how we collect, use, and disclose information. Our Privacy Statement describes our practices and your choices with respect to information that we collect through the website located at https://www.xamarin.com and any other website or software application (for example, Xamarin Studio) operated by us from which you access this Privacy Statement (the “Services”).
This Privacy Statement does not apply to any information that we collect in connection with our provision of our Test Cloud and Insights cloud services to our clients. Our processing of such information takes place in accordance with our Cloud Services Privacy Statement.
Click on the links below to jump to each section:
- How We Collect and Use Personal Information
- How Personal Information May Be Disclosed
- How We Store and Protect Your Personal Information
- Your Choices about Your Personal Information
- Third Party Services
- How to Contact Us
- Changes to Our Privacy Statement
How we collect and use personal information
Personal Information We May Collect
We collect information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person, including, for example:
- First and last name, and nickname
- Affiliated organization, and size of your affiliated organization,
- Telephone number
- Credit card or debit card number
- E-mail address
- Billing information
- Profile picture
- Social media account ID
- Browser and device information
- Software application usage data
- Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
- Demographic information and other information provided by you
- Aggregated information
How We May Collect Personal Information
We and our third-party service providers may collect information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through the Services: We collect personal information through the Services when you provide it directly to us, such as when you register, make a purchase, register for a webinar or other event, or contact us.
- From Other Sources: We may receive your personal information from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, social media platforms, and other third parties.
- Log File Information: Log file information is automatically reported by your browser or mobile device each time you access the Services. These server logs may include information such as the date and time of your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, operating system name and type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Services, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other similar information. We may also use your IP address to derive your town or city.
- Pixel Tags and Other Similar Technologies: When you use the Services, we may employ pixel tags (also known as web beacons or clear .gifs) to, among other things, track the actions of users of our Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns, and compile statistics about use of the Services and response rates. The information is allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Service.
- Third-Party Advertisers: We may use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements regarding our products and services that may be of interest to you when you access and use the Services and other websites, based on information relating to your (and others') access to and use of the Services and other websites. To do so, these companies may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser (including through the use of pixel tags). If you would like more information about this practice, including your choices in connection with it, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp, http://www.bizible.com/cookie-opt-out, http://www.marinsoftware.com/privacy/marin-tracker-opt-out, and http://www.aboutads.info/.
- Device Identifiers: When you access the Services by or through a mobile device (including but not limited to smart-phones or tablets), we may access, collect, monitor and/or remotely store one or more “device identifiers,” such as a universally unique identifier (“UUID”) that identifies your device to us. We will not, however, collect UUIDs on user-created applications without your express consent. A device identifier may convey information to us about how you browse and use the Services. A device identifier may remain persistently on your device, to help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the Services. Some features of the Service may not function properly if use or availability of device identifiers is impaired or disabled.
- Physical Location: We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or WiFi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. You may be permitted to allow or deny our collection or use of your device’s location, but, if you do, we may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
- By Aggregating Information: Aggregated information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Services. We may aggregate information for our internal business purposes, such as, for example, to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular postal code.
How We May Use Personal Information
We may use personal information:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests.
- To send administrative information to you, such as information regarding the Services and changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To complete and fulfill your purchases, including to process your payments, communicate with you regarding your purchases, and provide you with related customer service.
- To send you marketing communications, consistent with your choices.
- To personalize your experience on the Services, for example, by presenting products and offers tailored to you.
- To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your personal information.
- To facilitate social sharing functionality.
- To allow you to send messages to a friend through the Services. By using this functionality, you are telling us that you are entitled to use and provide us with your friend’s name and email address.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis; audits, fraud monitoring and prevention; providing, maintaining and supporting the Services; developing new products and services, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services; identifying usage trends; determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns; and operating and expanding our business activities.
- To automatically download updates to software applications published by Xamarin as part of the Services for you to install.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect the rights, privacy, safety, or property of Xamarin, our affiliates, you, or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We ask that you not send us and not disclose any sensitive information (e.g., Social Security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
How personal information may be disclosed
Your personal information may be disclosed:
- To our affiliates (including now Microsoft and its affiliates) for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement. Xamarin Inc. is the party responsible for the management of the jointly-used personal information.
- To our third-party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other services.
- To third parties to permit them to send you marketing communications, consistent with your choices.
- To third-party sponsors of sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions.
- To identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through the Services.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings) to or with such third party.
- As we believe necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (c) to protect the rights, privacy, safety, or property of Xamarin, our affiliates, you, or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How we store and protect your personal information
Where Information is Stored and Processed
Personal information collected may be stored and processed in your region, in the United States or in any other country where Xamarin or its affiliates, subsidiaries or service providers maintain facilities. We take steps to ensure that the data we collect under this privacy statement is processed according to the provisions of this statement and the requirements of applicable law wherever the data is located.
When we transfer personal information from the European Economic Area to other countries, we use a variety of legal mechanisms, including contracts, to help ensure your rights and protections travel with your data. Xamarin will abide by the requirements of European Economic Area and Swiss data protection law regarding the collection, use, transfer, retention, and other processing of personal data from the European Economic Area and Switzerland.
We use reasonable and appropriate organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please immediately notify us in accordance with the “How to Contact Us” section below.
Your choices about your personal information
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your personal information for marketing purposes
You may opt out from:
- Receiving electronic marketing communications from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt out by following the instructions contained in each such message. Please note that if you opt out, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt out.
- Our sharing of your personal information with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes: If you would prefer that we not share your personal information on a going-forward basis with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt out of this sharing by contacting us at email@example.com.
How you can access, change or suppress your personal information
You may update your account information at any time by logging into your account and changing your profile settings. If you have questions, or if you would like to suppress or delete personal information that you have previously provided to us, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your request, please make clear what personal information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have the personal information you have provided to us suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of the personal information you have provided to us. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the personal information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as is reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion. There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
How long we keep your personal information
We will retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
Third party services
This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any websites or service to which the Services link. The inclusion of a link on the Services does not imply endorsement of the linked site or service by us or by our affiliates. In addition, we are not responsible for the information collection, use, disclosure or security policies and practices of other organizations, such as any app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer.
How to contact us
If you have questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact us by e-mail at: email@example.com.
Visual Studio Privacy
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, Washington 98052 USA
By Phone: 425-882-8080
To find the Microsoft subsidiary in your country or region, see http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/.
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your emails to us.
Changes to our privacy statement
We may change this Privacy Statement. The “LAST UPDATED” legend below indicates when this Privacy Statement was last revised. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on the Services. Your use of the Services following these changes means that you accept the revised Privacy Statement.